By feeding this combination of dl-Methionine and vitamins, their urine pH will come down to the normal level of 6.5 (sometimes the owner can raise or lower the dosage by 10 to 20% to find the optimum non-burning level of 6.5 pH). This helps to eliminate the brown spots. If a dog's pH is below 6.5 pH, the urine will still burn the lawn. Approximately 5% of dogs pH is below 6.5 pH and GrassSaver will not work (it cannot raise pH levels). Unfortunately, it is not safe to try to bring the pH level up and we do not recommend products for this use. If our product does not work, we are happy to refund customers money.
GrassSaver ingredients include:
1. Montmorillinite (clay) is one of the most common tablet binder and fillers available.
2. Other binder/fillers include: Di-Calcium Phosphate and Yeast. We usually try to avoid yeast because it can cause allergies in some dogs. We also try to avoid using Di-Calcium Phosphate because it can offset a dog's proper calcium to phosphorous ratio.
3. dl-Methionine is a amino acid that is a urinary acidifier. Vitamin C is also a urinary acidifier. We have discussed the safe limits of dl-Methionine with four Veterinarians at U.C. Davis. They said the generally recognized safe upper limits were 1 1/2% by weight of a dogs daily food intake. GrassSaver contains 133 mg. per tablet of dl-Methionine. If an 80 Lb. dog takes 5 tablets daily and consumes 1 1/2 Lbs. of food he is getting 665 mg. per day of dl-Methionine which in only .1%, fifteen times under the recommended safe level.
4. Thiamine (B1), pyridoxine and B12 are a combination of B Vitamins which helps the body assimilate food. They also synergistically work with dl-Methionine to help return the urine Ph to a normal level (6.5Ph).
5. Biotin is a water-soluble B vitamin which is produced in the intestines by bacteria as well as being obtained from food. Biotin is an essential nutrient that is required for cell growth and for the production of fatty acids. It is also essential for the proper utilization of the other B-complex vitamins.
6. Yucca (Odorase) helps to lower ammonia levels in urine and also helps to prevent stool odor.
7. Magnesium Stearate is utilized as a lubricant when forming tablets.
8. Stearic Acid is utilized as a tablet binder.
9. Silica Gel helps the powder flow evenly which allows for even tablet size when manufactured.
10. Beef Liver is a flavoring only.
11. Corn Gluten is utilized as a flavoring and binder.
|ANIMAL WEIGHT ||DAILY AMOUNT|
|Dogs to 10 ||1 tablet|
|11 - 19 lbs. ||2 tablets|
|20 - 49 lbs. ||3 tablets|
|50-79 lbs. ||4 tablets|
|80 + lbs. ||5 tablets|